COVID-19: protecting people's jobs


I know people are deeply worried about the coronavirus – the impact it will have on their jobs, their incomes and their ability to provide for their families. The Government said we would support the British people – and we meant it.

These are the measures the Government has announced to protect people’s jobs and ensure people get the support they need to do the right thing - stay at home, protect the NHS, and save lives:



  • Any employer in the country – large, small, charitable or for profit – who promises to retain their staff, can apply for a grant to cover most of the cost of paying people’s wages. Government grants will cover 80% of the salary of retained workers up to a total of £2,500 a month. 
  • There is limit on these grants and the cost of wages will be backdated to 1st March 2020 and open initially for at least three months – extended if necessary.
  • If you are unable to work because you have caring responsibilities resulting from coronavirus, for example looking after children, your employer can furlough you. You need to speak with them directly to agree this. 



  • New regulations will allow up to 4 weeks unused leave to be carried into the next two leave years.
  • The changes will also ensure all employers affected by COVID-19 have the flexibility to allow workers to carry over leave at a time when granting annual leave could leave them short-staffed in some of Britain’s key industries, such as food and healthcare.



  • three month mortgage holiday will be introduced for those in difficulty due to coronavirus so that people will not have to pay a penny towards their mortgage while they get back on their feet. You should contact your mortgage lender directly for further information. 
  • This includes if you are a landlord whose tenants are experiencing financial difficulties.



  • If you're diagnosed with COVID-19 or are self-isolating, you will be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) ​​​​from day one. 
  • This also applies to those who are unable to work because they have been advised to self-isolate or shield, as well as for people within the same household who display symptoms.
  • You can obtain a doctor’s note via NHS 111 as medical evidence.


Last Updated: 13th April 2020